Thursday, August 5, 2010

Last Week, Second Half.

Nothing terribly exciting happened last Thursday or Friday, to my recollection. But Friday morning Guita gave me two tickets to a concert in Beiteddine. They were/are having a festival there. The tickets were for a performance by the Krakow Chamber Ensemble. So, on Saturday I met Valeria in Beirut and we took a coach bus to Beiteddine. In Beiteddine there is a palace from the 19th century and the concert was in the palace, which was really nice. It was in the courtyard and it was night time, so the stars were out and there were fireworks all around. The ensemble was a quintet with strings and a piano and they played pieces by Chopin. It was a very cultured experience.

Sunday I stayed home and studied for my Arabic finals that were on Monday. I also applied to the New School, in New York City, so I can finish the last two classes I need for my degree.

Monday we had our finals and they went pretty well. (I ended up with A's in the courses). They don't count towards my degree, but it is still good to do well. This week I've hung out with the guys from my Arabic class quite a bit. Wednesday my Arabic class went to a farewell lunch with our professors and everyone, and that was a lot of fun. There was so much food. It was at least four courses. I tried a dish that was chicken livers, which I'd never had before. (Among all the other dishes I had. I went to town.) There was a lot of cheese dishes, but I went for it anyways, because, when will I get my next chance to gorge myself on authentic Lebanese food?

At my internship, I've been working on the second draft of the IOM report. I can't believe I am returning to the U.S. in a week. It's crazy.

That just about does it. Now you are all caught up.

No comments:

Post a Comment