Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Week 3ish.

So, it's been almost a week since the last time I posted. It is hard to believe that I have been in Lebanon for three weeks already. This past weekend I went into Beirut again, to the "downtown". It is super nice. And it no joke looks just like any other quaint European city with narrow cobblestone streets and cafes, complete with soccer ball shaped Hookahs. I guess it's like 15 years old or something, it was built after the civil war, I am supposing. The only difference between downtown Beirut and say, Madrid or Napoli are the police officers with assault rifles and barracks at all of the entrance points. You don't have to go through a security check or anything, I think they are mostly there to keep cars out, it's a car free zone. In any case, again, for those worried about security, I've yet to feel unsafe. It is strange though how perceptions of safety shift. In the United States I don't think I would like it if there were RPD officers milling around everywhere in camo with AR-15's slung over their shoulders. But I think I take it as a sign that things are under control here when I see convoys of army lorries drive by full of young soldiers and tanks parked at various intersections in Beirut.

Work is going well, tomorrow will be the end of my third week. Which is crazy. Next week I am meeting with Dr. Sensenig, a professor here at NDU and the guy for whom I am doing research. He will be writing the reports which I think are going to IOM (the International Organization for Migration). It's funny that work days go by a lot faster when there is actually work to do, as opposed to having nothing to do for weeks on end. Anyways, it is nice to be working on something as an intern that is actually contributing. I luckily have never found myself in a position where they want me to fetch coffee or make copies.

In other news, the US won last night in a real nail biter. Germany won too. So hopefully Germany will embarrass England when they play next and the US will beat Ghana.

Also, on the way back from Beirut I met a guy on the bus and got to chatting. He was a young guy from the north of the country. We saw a traffic accident on the road and he said they happen all the time in Lebanon, and that there are 4 million people in Lebanon and 2 million cars. I think a funny thing is that in some of the buses and van taxis there are front seats next to the driver and people sit in the front and talk with the driver and share cigarettes and stuff. I don't know whether that happens in the US. For one thing you can't smoke on buses in the US.

In other news I sent out four job applications. So, we will see. I've got to keep applying to more.

Anyways...

No comments:

Post a Comment